Senior or Principal Engineer
Organization: Rhode Island Energy
Date Posted: 9/7/2022
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Primary Category: Engineering
Type of Position: Full-Time
DESCRIPTION & DETAILS
To develop short and long term strategies, perform analysis, develop plans and oversee their execution for the reinforcement and reliability of the Rhode Island Energy NE gas system from the interstate natural gas pipeline supply points to the customers service lateral. This includes support to the operating departments regarding proposed winter operation of the gas system, day-to-day operations, and emergency conditions as well as support to gas sales regarding new customer loads.
- Prepare engineering studies and computerized network analysis utilizing Synergi gas network software to determine the capability of Rhode Island Energy’s US gas infrastructure to deliver gas to its customers under normal, contingency and peak conditions.
- Review System Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for temperature restrictions and jumper bypass sizing. This includes pre-analysis for capital projects during the design and planning stages.
- Analyze Gas Capacity Request’s (GCR’s) to determine the ability of the gas system to supply new load. This includes reviewing and providing instructions for main/service sizing and main routing to supply larger commercial, industrial and power generation loads.
- Provide emergency support for Field Operations, including off-hour (on-call) coverage based on a rotating schedule.
- Perform studies of proposed system expansion with consideration given to service reliability, safety, operation and engineering economics. This includes the preparation of reports covering recommended and alternate plans to satisfy load growth and reliable system operation.
- Monitor, investigate and analyze the operation of the gas system to meet customer loads. Provide operational assistance and recommendations to Gas System Operations, I&R, Construction and Gas Supply in analyzing peak and contingency conditions. Participate in the review and sizing of Rhode Island Energy’s facilities in conjunction with public works construction, leak prone pipe replacement programs, pressure regulation station programs, and integrity programs.
- Analyze and monitor the gas distribution system performance to recommend corrective action, identify trends and continuously improve the reliability of the system.
- Prepare 5/10 year capital reinforcement construction plans, model verification & winter performance reports, model build, and/or annual winter operations reports. This includes developing long term planning, and operating models to ensure that customer loads can be supported under all temperature conditions. Prepare and present Complex Capital Delivery project gate checklists and project sanctioning papers to secure approval for assigned programs and specific projects. Provide identification and oversight of Long Term Planning sponsored programs and special projects in the Capital by Category business plan and projected year end spend reports.
- Prepare Synergi gas models that provide the most up-to date seamless and streamlined integration from GIS to Synergi. Work with external data sources to improve model performance including GIS, customer metering and billing, and SCADA systems. Work in coordination with GIS teams to improve asset data and customer locations.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Civil, Chemical, Industrial, or Electrical/Computer engineering is a minimum requirement.
- 5-10 years hydraulic modeling experience utilizing Synergi gas network software, or similar simulation software, is highly desirable.
- Strong computer skills, strong communication skills and written skills required and the proven ability to act in a leadership role and coordinate multiple disciplines through project initiation and execution.
- Knowledge of Federal DOT and State Codes related to the T&D of natural gas as well as applicable industry codes is preferred.
- GIS and data transformations with computer programming knowledge is strongly preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
For consideration, please follow this link.