Manager Gas Supply Analytics
Organization: Rhode Island Energy
Date Posted: 10/14/2022
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Primary Category: Engineering
Type of Position: Full-Time
DESCRIPTION & DETAILS
As Rhode Island Energy’s Manager of Gas Supply Analytics, working in conjunction with the Director of Gas Procurement, is responsible for evaluating gas supply procurement and portfolio optimization strategies while ensuring reliable, least cost service to customers. The Manager will establish, implement, and maintain analytical tools to assess gas supply resources to meet load obligations consistent with internal guidelines, approved Rhode Island Public Utilities Commission (RIPUC) and Division of Public Utilities and Carriers (DPUC) guidelines, and regulations, and all other applicable rules and regulations. The Manager will also develop, maintain, and manage internal analyses and processes used to support recovery of annual gas costs. This individual will prepare, support, and defend submissions to the RIPUC and DPUC regarding: the Long-Range Resource and Requirements Plan (LRP); process used to identify and procure resources; and associated recovery of gas costs. The Manager is responsible for supporting the implementation and on-going utilization of a gas supply management system.
- Develop a newly-formed organization to meet gas supply planning and procurement objectives and manage the organization’s future success.
Recruit, train, and retain staff skilled in analyzing gas supply resource options.
- Develop analytical tools and document associated results and processes; present analysis findings to business unit leadership and state regulators.
- Support gas supply portfolio optimization with quantitative and qualitative assessment of resource options and market dynamics.
- In conjunction with the Manager of Gas Supply Trading and Scheduling, evaluate and analyze the commercial activity associated with the Company’s Natural Gas Portfolio Management Plan (NGPMP).
- In conjunction with the Director of Gas Procurement, manage request for proposals (RFPs) for natural gas supplies, delivered services, pipeline and/or storage capacity, asset management arrangements, and LNG supply to ensure they are consistent with reliability requirements, bid documents and instructions, PPL objectives, and all applicable regulatory rules.
- Manage the evaluation of responses to RFPs using defined quantitative and qualitative metrics and criteria.
- Support negotiations for various commercial contracts, such as NAESB agreements, long-term pipeline and storage capacity contracts, LNG and trucking arrangements, and asset management arrangements.
- Manage the development of the Company’s LRP, which includes: reviewing the demand forecast and serving as primary contact with the Company’s Energy Planning, Analysis, and Forecasting team; managing the use of the SENDOUT portfolio optimization software; supporting various procurement analysis and research; and providing testimony to RIPUC and DPUC.
- Maintain an advanced working knowledge of natural gas industry and regulatory developments to explain same in response to internal and external inquiries.
- Develop and implement PPL RI’s strategic position; understand and explain relative competitive positions; recommend actions based on positions, strategies, and initiatives.
- Manage the delivery to the RIPUC and DPUC the Company’s: (i) LRP; (ii) NGPMP; (iii) annual cost of gas filings; and (iv) other gas supply and procurement contracts, as necessary.
- Conduct and evaluate requests for proposals for gas supply resources, pipeline and storage capacity, and other required resources such as LNG.
- Manage the contracting process for gas supply resources, including commodity, pipeline and storage capacity, asset management arrangements, and LNG supply and trucking contracts.
- In conjunction with the Manager of Gas Supply Trading and Scheduling develop testimony and technical support regarding gas supply costs for submission in regulatory filings to ensure full recovery of costs incurred. Participate in filings before RIPUC and DPUC and provide needed expertise and support.
- Serve as a primary Gas Procurement departmental contact with PPL RI’s Regulatory department and the Company’s Energy Planning, Analysis, and Forecasting team to support gas supply related filing and submissions.
- Manage the development of new processes and the improvement of current processes to gas supply planning and procurement activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, economics, mathematics, or other analytical discipline.
- Five to ten years of gas industry experience preferably with New England natural gas markets and infrastructure.
- Knowledge of gas supply planning and procurement activities including issuance and evaluation of RFPs for resources; development and support of integrated resource plans; and gas supply resource optimization (e.g., use of SENDOUT or similar software).
- Experience with gas supply resource contracts (e.g., NAESB, pipeline capacity, and storage).
- Knowledge of FERC and state regulatory/statutory requirements affecting gas supply resource planning.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build strong relationships and maintain successful relationships across industry sectors.
- Possess excellent working knowledge of Word and Excel applications.
- Possess excellent data analytical skills and have experience with data visualization tools and concepts.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Master’s degree in business, accounting, finance, economics, mathematics, or other analytical discipline.
- Ten to fifteen years of gas industry experience specifically in the New England natural gas market.
- ]Supported or sponsored testimony with respect to gas supply planning.
HOW TO APPLY
For consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume to Julie Carroll.